Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday at the Market

Another fabulous Sunday!!  At gym by 7 for cardio, strength, yoga/stretching.  Home to make power smoothie- same recipe as yesterday!!  I love using my green juice as the base for smoothies.  It totally ups the nutrition factor!! 

Got ready for a photo shoot and shopping at bethesda central market.  we were taking pics for the new blog/website, book and more.  I love getting creative with food and photography. here are some shots of the tomatoes i took.


After returning from the market the boys and i went on a bike ride on Beach Drive.  It was such a perfect day for a bike ride.  We played at the park for a little while and then decided it was time for the pool.  I love Sundays because we don't need to plan everything we can do what we feel like doing.  So we headed home, packed up some fruit and water and off to the pool for the rest of the afternoon!  We enjoyed lots of vollyball in the water, playing chase and worked on our swimming strokes- mason is totally inspired by the olympics!!   

Ok- back to the market and the essentials i get there each week.  Some of the staples i get at the market during this season include: kale, cucumbers, zucchini and tomatoes.  I use loads of kale for smoothies and salads.  We all love raw cucumbers and are great for the kids to make cucumber boats and add nut/seed butters inside.  I make loads of zucchini pasta.  tomatoes for gazpacho, salads and sauces.  Then there is my sprout buddy who has the best sunflower sprouts, pea greens, arugula, salad mix, spinach and today i got lots of sweet basil and thai basil to test out.  I load up on all my sprouts!!!  At his stand i also get a container of his cilantro pesto and walnut pesto!!  He also sells these veggie rolls with peanut butter dipping sauce.  It's nice to have a few already prepared foods made with good ingredients.  I also got some fresh peaches- i love white peaches!!  At the susie sprout stand i got a few boxes of sprouts and her prepared sprout salad.  Today i also decided to test out her peanut butter.

After the pool it was time to enjoy many of the wonderful things i got at the market!!  first, i made a small walnut pesto salad with my sunflower and pea green sprouts- soooo fresh!!  

Next, i ate my veggie rice paper wraps with peanut dipping sauce.  These are not totally raw- they are made with white rice paper wraps (not much nutritional value but i like the texture), they have tofu inside (when i eat tofu i like to get the non-gmo organic sprouted tofu at moms) and of course the peanut sauce is most likely not made with truly raw peanuts.  But they are a great meal occasionally and i enjoy every bite!!

I never eat peanut butter but since i had the taste in my mouth i craved more.  So i decide to taste test the susie sprout peanut butter i had originally gotten for joe (he loves sprouted bagels with peanut butter and jelly sometimes).  It was delish!!  in a bowl i mixed the peanut butter, coconut nectar and a few dashes of sea salt- totally yummy!!  it made me feel like i was 10 years old again.   I debated adding cacao nibs but did not- that would be fabulous too!!

Later i was off to My Organic Market to get everything else i need for the week for the family and I. 

When i returned home i had to make a coconut lime tumeric cilantro dipping sauce that i had been planning to make today since i already thawed my coconut meat.  I made the sauce but was not in the mood to even taste test.  But it smelled soooo delicious and with the ingredients i can't imagine it will be bad!!  i can't wait to taste test tomorrow!!
I'll share final recipe tomorrow after i taste test!!! 

kelly

 




No comments: